- Thomas G. WiggansFounder & Chief Executive OfficerTom co-founded Dermira in 2010 and is our Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of our board of directors. He brings over 30 years of experience in specialty pharma and 18 years of experience in dermatology. Prior to founding Dermira, Tom served as Chairman of the board of directors and Chief Executive Officer of Peplin, Inc. until Peplin’s acquisition by LEO Pharma A/S in 2009. Previously, he served as Chairman of the board of directors and Chief Executive Officer of Connetics Corporation until Connetics was acquired by Stiefel Laboratories, Inc. in 2006. Prior to Connetics, he served as President and Chief Operating Officer of CytoTherapeutics Inc., and in various management positions at Ares-Serono S.A., including President of its U.S. pharmaceutical operations and Managing Director of its U.K. pharmaceutical operations. Tom began his career with Eli Lilly and Company.
Tom has served on the boards of various industry organizations, educational institutions and private and public companies, including service on the boards of directors of Onyx Pharmaceuticals, Inc., until its acquisition by Amgen in 2013, Sangamo Biosciences, Inc. and Somaxon Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
In addition, Tom is a member of the board of directors of Biotechnology Innovation Organization, a non-profit educational organization, and is a member of the board of trustees of the University of Kansas Endowment Association. He holds a B.S. in pharmacy from the University of Kansas and an M.B.A. from Southern Methodist University.
- Eugene A. Bauer, M.D.Founder & Chief Medical OfficerGene is a co-founder of Dermira, our Chief Medical Officer and a member of our board of directors. Prior to founding Dermira, he served as a member of Peplin’s board of directors, and its President and Chief Medical Officer, until its acquisition by LEO Pharma in 2009. He was also the Chief Executive Officer of Neosil Inc., and a co-founder and member of the board of directors at Connetics. Before initiating his career in industry, Gene served as the Dean of the Stanford University School of Medicine and as Chair of the Department of Dermatology at the Stanford University School of Medicine. He is a Lucy Becker Professor, Emeritus, in the School of Medicine at Stanford University, a position he has held since 2002.
Gene has served on the boards of directors of a number of public and private companies. He is currently a member of the boards of directors of Medgenics, Inc., Dr. Tattoff, Inc., First Wave Technologies, Inc., Cerecor, Inc. and Kadmon Corporation. He previously served as a member of the boards of directors of Protalex, Inc., Vyteris, Inc., Peplin, PetDRx, Inc., Arbor Vita Corp., Patient Safety Technologies, Inc., MediSync Bioservices and Modigene Inc. (now PROLOR Biotech, Inc.).
Gene was a U.S. National Institutes of Health, or NIH, funded investigator for 25 years and has served on review groups for the NIH. He has been elected to several societies, including the National Academy of Medicine of the United States. Gene received a B.S. in medicine and an M.D. from Northwestern University.
- Christine Conroy Senior Vice President, Regulatory AffairsChristine joined Dermira as our Senior Vice President, Regulatory Affairs in 2014, bringing 25 years of pharmaceutical industry experience to the team, 18 of which are in regulatory. Prior to Dermira, she held senior level regulatory positions at both large pharma and small biotech companies. Most recently, she held positions of increasing responsibility in regulatory affairs and quality assurance at Affymax, Inc., including Senior Vice President, Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance after beginning her tenure as Senior Director, Regulatory Affairs. Before joining Affymax, Christine held various senior level positions in the regulatory departments of Genitope Corporation and Roche Global Development. She started her career in the pharmaceutical industry at Syntex, Inc. in the Medical Services Department.
Christine earned her Pharm.D. from the University of Kansas, School of Pharmacy, and her B.S. in Pharmacy, with Honors, from the University of Colorado, School of Pharmacy.
- Janice Drew, MPHSenior Vice President, Clinical & Project ManagementJanice joined Dermira in May 2012 and brings 20 years of industry experience in global clinical development, clinical operations and project management. Before joining Dermira, Janice held leadership positions at Peplin, Allergan, Roche Global Development and Syntex. She has led multidisciplinary global project teams and directly contributed to successful NDAs and MAAs. Her therapeutic experience includes dermatology, urology, cardiovascular, neurology and infectious disease.
Janice has a Master’s degree in Public Health with an emphasis in Health Promotion from California State University, Fullerton, and a Bachelor of Science from the University of California, Irvine.
- Christopher GriffithFounder & Vice President, Corporate Development & StrategyChris is a co-founder of Dermira and serves as our Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy, bringing over 13 years of experience in corporate development, strategy and investment management. Prior to joining Dermira, he held corporate development, strategy and investment management roles at Gilead Sciences, Inc., Genentech, Inc. and Bay City Capital.
Chris received B.S. and M. S. degrees in biological sciences from Stanford University and an M.B. A. degree from Harvard Business School.
- Andrew Guggenhime Chief Operating Officer & Chief Financial OfficerAndrew joined Dermira in 2014 as our Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer and brings over 20 years of experience in finance and corporate development. Prior to joining Dermira, Andrew was the Chief Financial Officer for CardioDx, Inc., a molecular diagnostics life sciences company, where he currently serves as a director. He has also served as Chief Financial Officer for Calistoga Pharmaceuticals, Inc. until its acquisition in 2011 by Gilead, Facet Biotech Corporation until its acquisition in 2010 by Abbott Laboratories, PDL BioPharma, Inc. and Neoforma, Inc. Andrew began his career in financial services at Merrill Lynch & Co. and Wells Fargo & Company.
Andrew holds an M.B.A. from the J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University and a B.A. in international politics and economics from Middlebury College.
- Hans Hofland, Ph.D. Vice President, ResearchHans joined Dermira in 2013 as our Vice President, Research and brings over 20 years of experience in skin biology, topical medicines development and drug discovery. Prior to joining Dermira, Hans served as the Head of the Center for Skin Biology at Stiefel, a GSK company, where he was responsible for target identification and validation as well as early development of novel compounds in the dermatology portfolio for a wide variety of indications. He has held leadership positions at other companies, including Aventis, Inc., Optime Therapeutics, Inc. and Connetics.
Hans earned his Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from the University of Leiden in the Netherlands, where he studied the interactions between topical drug delivery systems and human skin. He has co-authored over 20 book chapters and journal articles, and has 20 issued and pending patents in his name.
- Delphine Imbert, Ph.D.Senior Vice President, Pharmaceutical SciencesDelphine joined Dermira in 2011 as our Vice President, Pharmaceutical Sciences with over 17 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry. Prior to Dermira, Delphine served as Vice President of Pharmaceutical R&D at Anacor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. with previous experience at ALZA Corporation (a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies) and Cellegy Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Her scope of responsibilities have included leading efforts in transdermal and topical formulation development, product development, analytical development, clinical supplies, and related CMC filings from early- to late-stage development. She has also worked in multiple therapeutic areas, including onychomycosis, psoriasis, atopic dermatitis, acne, CNS and various infectious and neglected diseases.
Delphine has a M.S. in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Paris, a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences from the University of Cincinnati, and was a NIH postdoctoral scholar at the University of California, San Francisco.
- Luis PeñaChief Development OfficerLuis is a co-founder of Dermira and serves as our Chief Development Officer, and brings over 25 years of product development and portfolio management experience. Prior to joining Dermira, Luis served as Vice President, Head of Global Prescription Development at Stiefel, a GSK company, and was Senior Vice President Portfolio Planning and Management at Stiefel Laboratories, prior to its acquisition by GlaxoSmithKline. He also held leadership roles in portfolio management and product development at Connetics, Nuvelo, Inc. and Theravance, Inc. as well as various positions in manufacturing, research and development at Genentech. Luis currently serves as an advisor to the SPARK program for the Stanford University School of Medicine.
Luis holds a B.S. in biochemistry from San Francisco State University.
- Christine Ring, Ph.D.Vice President, LegalChristine joined Dermira in 2014 as our Vice President, Legal and brings over 20 years of legal experience. Prior to Dermira, she served as Senior Vice President, Technology Strategy and Licensing and Chief IP Counsel at Amyris, Inc., Director of Intellectual Property at Sunesis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Senior Patent Attorney at Kosan Biosciences Inc. Before becoming in-house counsel, she began her legal career in private practice, most recently as Senior Attorney at Pillsbury Madison & Sutro (now Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw & Pittman).
Christine has a J.D. from Hastings College of the Law, a Ph. D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry from University of California, San Francisco, and an A.B. in Biophysics from University of California, Berkeley.